Villa Morosini Gatterburg, Mogliano Veneto (TV)

 
 

Mogliano Veneto (TV), altitude 5 m/16 feet above sea level; train station at Mogliano Veneto 2.7 km/1.7 miles to the north. The Villa is located along Via Terraglio right on the boundary between the town of Mogliano and the city of Venice.


The current villa is the result of various expansions and renovations of an earlier villa by the Morosini family throughout the eighteenth century.


The facade is monumental, surmounted by a pediment with three statues; below the pediment four columns, added during the nineteenth century, define the three windows of the first and second floors. At the center is the Morosini family coat of arms.

The villa takes its second name from Paul Gatterburg, an Austrian aristocrat who, in 1799, married Elisabetta Morosini and thereby became owner of the villa. During the twentieth century ownership was passed on to Giuseppe Volpi di Misurata, and therefore the villa is known also as Villa Volpi.


The villa is not open to the public.


All photos by Paolo Bonavoglia


For an overall interactive map of the Veneto, showing all these villas and many more, please see this custom Google map