Villa Roberti at Brugine

 
 

Brugine, Province of Padova, 5 m/16 feet above sea level, Via Roma 90; train station at Piove di Sacco on the Venezia-Adria line about 6 km/4 miles to the east.  The villa is reached easily by bicycle on bike lanes from Piove di Sacco and is located on the Piove di Sacco-Rovigo bike route.


During the sixteenth century, the Paduan family Roberti (originally Ruberti), having acquired new lands in the village of Brugine, commissioned architect Andrea Da Valle for the construction of a new villa, which was completed in 1553.


The villa was characterized with frescoes by Gian Battista Zelotti who decorated both the exterior and the interior of the villa; the exterior frescoes appear severely damaged, while the interior frescoes are in good condition.  Some of the frescoes are also by Paolo Caliari, nicknamed “Veronese”.

During the seventeenth century the villa changed ownership to the Frigimelica, a family that included the architect Girolamo who effected some changes to the villa, such as the Serliana [Palladian window] on the side facade.


After numerous changes of ownership, the villa is now owned by the Bozzolato family and can be visited only by appointment; the courtyard and barchessa are used by a flea market and crafts fair, usually on the first Sunday of each month, and on those occasions the villa and grounds are open to the public.


Latest visit 9 March 2014.


All photos by Paolo Bonavoglia, unless indicated otherwise.


For an overall interactive map of the Veneto, showing all these villas and many more, please see this custom Google map.